Project Description

MOVE, (Missionary Outreach Volunteer Evangelism) is a volunteer-staffed, faith-based missionary training school located near Orange Walk, Belize. MOVE exists to inspire, equip and mobilize missionaries to meet practical needs and give the three angels' messages of hope and warning to all the world in these end times. The mission reports posted here are stories of MOVE missionaries from all around the world, as well as updates from our campus.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"The Best Days of My Life"

On my way to my house I passed Javier. “How’s it going?” I asked.
“Whew, teacher” he whistled through his teeth. “We’re supposed to be making tortillas in the kitchen, and Brayan and I don’t know how, and Ruth got there late, and there’s not enough firewood” (We gather and cut our own wood for the kitchen fires, and it’s amazing how much wood you burn to cook ten kilos of potatoes, fry 240 tortillas, and boil four gallons of aupi.)
“Oh wow,” I responded. “I’m no expert at making tortillas, but maybe I can come help you out in a little bit.” Why did I just say that? I immediately thought. I have too much to do! I don’t have time to go work in the kitchen all afternoon!
I went to my house and started working on my long list of things I wanted to get done, and promptly forgot about my promise—for about 15 minutes.
You should go up and help in the kitchen. The thought reoccurred to me.
Nah, they don’t need help. They’ll be fine. I need to prepare for class tomorrow.

-->

Dude, what did you come here for anyway? Do you think that your piddly translations of literary and linguistic knowledge are really going to make a difference and give these kids the edge on life? Leave it and go help in the kitchen why don’t you?

So, I left my work and went to the kitchen where I peeled and sliced the cucumbers and tomatoes to make the salad that the slacking morning crew was supposed to have prepared and served for lunch. I didn’t realize how dirty the cucumbers were until I went to wash my hands afterward and noticed what looked like dead skin peeling off of my fingers. “Wow,” I said “I’ve never peeled caustic cucumbers like this before! They ate the skin right off my hands!” The kids laughed at me and told me it was just dirt, and I felt stupid. Yet how many times have I been such an idiot, with sin such a part of me that I think I’m losing my skin when God starts to rub off my grunge?

The kids seemed really grateful for my help, and they seemed more friendly, talkative, and open to listen. Nothing huge, but sometimes small things like that can be really encouraging.
Speaking of encouraging, we just finished a fortnight-length marathon week of prayer and spiritual emphasis. I spoke twice for the evening meetings. I felt so unprepared and unorganized, as I didn’t have the time to really prepare everything ahead of time, but God helped me find the words somehow, although I’m pretty sure I didn’t put them in the right order. I felt so scattered.
At the end of the first week we had a communion service and on Sabbath the pastor came and spoke for church and baptized five of our students who have made a commitment to follow Christ: Barbara, Roly, Rodolpho, Rosalia, and Erika.
The third year students went to visit the nursing home and assisted in caring for the residents this last week for their outreach project. They’ve been learning some basic care skills in health class, and this week they’ve been practicing on each other and the staff, feeding each other, putting on socks and shoes, brushing teeth, shaving, and combing hair.
The kids were excited when they came back and shared their experiences. Alcides, one of our third-year boys and leaders on campus said “Let’s pray for the ancients.”One line from his prayer still sticks with me and makes me smile every time I remember it: “Thank you Lord for the opportunity to be here and for the gift of service, and for what has been, for my part, the best days of my life.”
May the Lord bless each one of you and may today be one of the best days of your life. :)

No comments: